Verification is the process required by the Department of Education to verify the accuracy of the information submitted by or on behalf of a student for the purpose of applying for financial aid. The purpose is to reduce errors in applicant reported data and to insure, to the maximum extent possible, that eligible applicants receive the financial aid for which they are eliible.
The process of verification is separate from the requirement to resolve conflicting information. Discrepancies in a student’s aid application must be resolved before aid can be disbursed, regardless of existing verification policies.
The process of verification is also separate from the requirement to “document” certain application items. Unconfirmed selective service registration, unconfirmed eligible non-citizen status, and Veteran’s Educational Benefits may be “documented” regardless of any existing verification policies.
Refer any instance of suspected fraud or criminal conduct by an applicant to the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Education or to the state or local authorities.
Assistant Inspector General for Investigations:
U. S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
MES, Room 4122
Washington, D.C. 20202-1510
|Tracking Flag||Tracking Group||Description|
IRS Tax Transcripts Required
|Students in this group must verify the following:
|V2||SNAP Verification||Students in this group must verify the receipt of SNAP benefits only. Not valid for 2014-2015|
|V3||Child Support Paid Verification||Students in this group must verify child support paid by them or their spouse, their parents, or both only.|
|V4||Custom Verification||Students must verify high school completion status and identity/statement of educational purpose in addition to receipt of SNAP benefits and payment of child support.|
IRS Tax Transcripts Required
|Students must verify high school completion status and identity/statement of educational purpose in addition to the items in the Standard Verification Group.|
|V6||Household Resources||Tax Filers:
- V1 and V5 are the only groups that require IRS Tax Return Transcripts
- The Identity/Statement of Education must be signed IN PERSON in front of an Institution Officials:
Delays in submitting this completed worksheet, utilizing IRS Data Retrieval and providing IRS Tax Transcripts, Federal income tax forms and/or other requested documents will delay the processing of your aid application and may affect the availability of certain types of aid programs.
- Important Information Regarding FAFSA Submittable. Click here PDF
IRS Data Retrieval Process
Additional information about IRS Data Retrieval Process:
- Applicants selected for verification who use the IRS Data Retrieval Process will have verified the FAFSA IRS information. NO ADDITIONAL Documentation is required if the amounts are unchanged.
- Must have a valid SSN
- Must have filed a 2013 IRS tax return, and
- Must have an unchanged marital status since December 31, 2013
Any student initiated corrections after the original ISIR is received (even if selected for verification), will have to be self-identified by the student. *Student initiated corrections are not automatically loaded by the school.
IRS Transcript Required
Additional information about IRS Transcript Required:
Veterans and Active Duty Military Personnel
Additional information about Veterans and Active Duty Military Personnel:
- The definition of veteran for Federal student aid purposes is any individual who has engaged in the active duty in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard for purposes other than training; and was released under a condition other than dishonorable.
- Active duty military personnel are those individuals currently in the military (excluding training).
- Members of the National Guard or Reserves are only considered veterans if they were called up to active federal duty by presidential order for a purpose other than training.
- Students serving in ROTC or currently attending a U.S. military academy are not veterans. Students who attended a U.S. service academy or preparatory school for at least one day and were released under conditions other than “dishonorable” count as veterans for Title IV purposes.
- Veteran/Active Duty Confirmation Form. Please Click here PDF